FORTRESS OF FYLI
Lying in the mountainous area of Fyli, at the west side of mount Parnitha, the Fortress of Fyli is rising above the passage between the regions of Attica and Boeotia. It is known as the “Fortress of Democracy” because it is where Athenian General Thrasybulus led the battle against the oligarchy, freeing Athens from the Tyrants and re-establishing democracy in its birthplace.
THE CONNECTING WALL
The wall of 5,000 metres of length has been built by the Athenians in the 4th century B.C. to protect the western part of Attica. Its name in Greek, “Tichos Dematos”, means a wall connecting the mount of Parnitha with the mount Aigaleo. It is part of the fortifications in Ancient Athens, as is the fortress of Fyli.
PAN’S CAVE (NYMPHAIO)
It is located in the mountainous area of Fyli, on the west side of mount Parnitha and in the gorge of Keladonas river near the Fortress of Fyli. It had been a place of worship consecrated to Pan and the Nymphs as early as the prehistoric times and so has remained until the 4th century A.D. According to mythology, during the rituals of Dionysus, the god himself drove his chariot and was accompanied by virgin young women, en route to meet Pan in his cave, “Lychnospilia” (a cave where pieces of oil lamps have been later identified).
MONASTERY OF KLEISTON
Risen at a height of 430 metres and located in the mountainous area of Fyli on the west side of mount Parnitha, the renowned Monastery of Kleiston has been built at the entrance of the ancient Keladonas river gorge, at a short distance from Fyli.
According to the references of the Monastery, it has been established in 1204, following the miracle of discovery of the Saint Mary’s picture. The now derelict monastic cells are a testament to the Monastery’s acme during the byzantine and post-byzantine era. It has further played a significant part in the years of the Ottoman reign as it was a meeting place for the revolutionary army leaders who, under the command of Meletis Vasileiou, freed Athens on April 26, 1821.
MONASTERY OF SAINTS KYPRIANOS AND IOUSTINI
The Monastery of Saints Kyprianos and Ioustini (Agion Kyprianou & Ioustinis) is located just outside the municipality of Fyli, in the southwest foothills of mount Parnitha, at 16 km from Athens. The holy monastic community of the Holy Martyrs, Kyprianos and Ioustini, was built in 1961 upon decision of the Monastery’s abbot, Bishop Kyprianos.